Here's what he did to door number 1, our back door. He jumps and scratches at it every time you let him out. But he doesn't do it to let you know he needs to go out, he does it while you're standing there with your hand on the doorknob because he is so excited. I've given up making him sit and wait while I open the door so he doesn't scratch it. Buying a new door before we eventually sell this house seems easier.
Door number 2, our front door, I blame on Charlie's grandparents-my mom and dad. While we were in San Diego last summer, my brother was staying at our house watching Charlie. I knew my parents were coming to town to help my brother move so I specifically told them not to come over and see Charlie because he loves them so much it would disrupt his life especially with us already being gone. But because he is so irresistibly cute, they came over anyways and after they left, what did he do? Scratched the door and the molding around it to try and come after them. He had a red, raw mark on his nose from scratching so much when we got home which I decided was probably punishment enough for him.
And now his latest door, our bedroom door. He has this weird habit lately of taking his favorite toys, which at the moment are a bone and a squeaky ball, and carrying them to our closet. He just sets them down and then lays down next to them. I've given up trying to figure out why he has been spending so much time in our closet lately. Anyways yesterday I left to go meet Dan for lunch and when we leave we shut all the doors to the rooms in our house. I asked him before I shut our door, "Do you want to go get your toys out of the closet before I leave?" I gave him about 5 minutes and he never got them so I just shut the door. Apparently while I was gone-for no more than an hour-he decided he couldn't wait another minute to see his beloved toys, so he scratched the door and the molding around it trying to get in.
I made him sit in time out when I got home, and now I'm not so sure if I want to continue with my plans for his 5th birthday party I was going to have for him. And if you're wondering, there are 5 more doors left for him to destroy. When we did our taxes this year, the lady who did them told me to save any receipts if we buy any doors this year because they will be tax deductible on your 2010 return. Who knew she was predicting my future?

Ok, I guess he is kind of cute, I'll go ahead with his party plans after all!

Awww Charlie! ;)
ReplyDelete